BIODIVER-CITY: ENHANCING URBAN BIODIVERSITY AND ECOSYSTEM SERVICES TO MAKE CITIES MORE RESILIENT
24 APRIL 2018
If we think about nature conservation or increasing essential ecosystem services we usually think of protected areas, conserving valuable ecosystems such as forest and wetlands, or maintaining rural landscapes.But can cities also help achieving biodiversity goals and targets? The potential of cities to help protect biodiversity and ecosystem services is likely underestimated.
This conference aims at delivering a set of key messages and principles of how cities can contribute to regional, national and European biodiversity policy, goals and targets.
- What is our present knowledge of urban biodiversity? What indicators are used and what are the current patterns and trends reveal about urban biodiversity?
- Why is urban biodiversity important? What are the links between urban biodiversity and urban ecosystem services and with well-being?
- Is a high urban biodiversity important for citizens and other stakeholders? How can citizens monitor biodiversity?
- How can urban green infrastructure be designed and managed to maintain and enhance urban biodiversity and ecosystem services?
- Do you want to share your ideas or are you interested to participate?
- Unsolicited abstracts for presentations in plenary or break-out sessions are accepted in case you are interested in presenting your work on urban biodiversity and ecosystem services.